Tuesday, April 19, 2011

Service Learning Project Overview

I really enjoyed the Service Learning Project, I think it gave us a good opportunity to actually help those around us who are less fortunate. I can only imagine how scary and daunting being a refugee would be. Fleeing form your country due to civil unrest would be a very hard thing to do. No to mention you than add on the cultural variable that make things like getting a job, communicating, and even making it day to day that much harder. In a classroom, theories and ideas can be thrown around all day, but until you put your shoulder to the wheel, you really won't be able to see how things can play out.

At first I was planning on putting together an apartment for one or two of the refugee families. I was going to collect beds, dressers, lamps, couches, etc in order to put together an adequate living environment for these families to enjoy. I corresponded with the lady in charge of the whole operation and it turned out that bringing all that furniture down at the right time would actually become a huge hassle. So I was forced to switch gears.

After thinking about it and emailing back and forth with the woman in charge we decided that another thing the refugees were in need of was personal hygiene products. Things like soap, shampoo, deodorant, razors, toothbrushes, toothpaste, etc were all basic items that these people were in need of. I personally can't even imagine not having such basic items at my immediate disposal. I have always had adequate personal hygiene products and definitely wanted these people to be as comfortable as possible in their new homes.

I first went and spoke with my in-laws. My father in-law happens to be the V.P. of Tahitian Noni, an MLM that produces tons of shampoos, lotions, and other personal hygiene products. MY father in-law was happy to help the cause by lending as much as they had on hand. This of course helped tremendously. I also spoke with other members of my family and encouraged them to donate as well. It was cool to see how easily things were coming together.

After we had acquired a good amount from family and friends, we decided to go door to door and speak with people in Lindon about donating to the cause. I have knocked tons of doors in my day between being a missionary and doing sales, so this wasn't really a big deal to me. I was surprised by how much people were willing to donate. Jason and I probably looked like to punk kids, but people could see that we were excited and out for a good cause. It turned out really well and we were able to get together a trunk full of personal hygiene products.

Overall I must say the opportunity to help out these people was fulfilling and one that I won't likely forget. I realize that we didn't build them a house or anything huge, but we did do our best to make their stay here in the U.S. whether permanent or not, more comfortable. I wish I could have been there to work more closely with some of these people like other students were able to. However, we did our best and produced more than I had anticipated.

I would totally encourage anyone that is looking to any type of Eagle Scout Project or service project to talk with those in charge at the refugee center, It will create more awareness and hopefully help out these people even more.

No comments:

Post a Comment