Monday, April 11, 2011

Unconscious Competence and Unconscious Incompetence

Unconscious competence and unconscious incompetence is something that we talked about in class quite a bit about. I found this to be an actually very interesting subject. We are constantly doing things and making decisions, some may be good while some may be bad. This can obviously be used when dealing with different cultures. Often times people act in a way that may be offensive to thers of another culture even though they are unconsciously being offensive. I'm sure I was guilty of this multiple times when I first arrived to Lithuania. I wouldn't immediately shake people's hands and would forget to take my hat off, simple things really but crucial in a different culture. Practice and immersion helps one become more conscious when dealing with other cultures.

No comments:

Post a Comment